Gen Con 2012

As I mentioned so long ago in my previous post I attended Gen Con this year.  This was my third year to the convention; meaning I finally knew what to expect while I was there.  First of all car rides that take ten+ hours are just terrible no matter what fun people you travel with.  We were on the road by 6 AM, and the day was spent driving and just general shenanigans in the vehicle on the way there.

The hotel we stayed at was only a few blocks away from the convention center (plus there!), we had a short walk to the convention and could come and go as we pleased.  The convention itself was full of lots of events and games to demo.  Also for those who are not really familiar with the convention many people choose to cosplay as their favorite characters from various forms of media.  I yet again realized that I fail at taking sufficient pictures of many events ( i.e. I forget I own a camera phone...).

The convention lasts for four days and literally thousands of people will show up to game/socialize to his or her hearts content.  This year I spent the majority of my time trying to demo and purchase the perfect horror board game (Sadly without success).  I always enjoy seeing the more impressive cosplay costumes that people are able to come up with.  I have a particular love of Star Wars after all of these years and I really enjoyed those as I always do.  Some of the old standbys were all reperesented (Bleach, Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek).

If you guys enjoy games of the old school format (board games, card games, etc) I suggest you at least think about going to the convention one of these years.  Besides the convention hall (where you can demo games, meet new people, browse the art gallery, or just people watch) there are many other activities to keep you entertained.  There are thousands of events you can sign up for.  These events could be anything from a super smash brothers brawl tournament to learning how to knit some sweet geek garb.  I always need to hit up the paint and take event.

In the paint and take event you are able to pick from a variety of miniatures in order to find the one you would like to paint.  After picking the miniature you are able to go paint it.  All of the paints, brushes, and water you need are all provided.  You can also talk to people who paint miniatures extremely well.  They are all knowledgeable and really nice; they are always willing to give tips to anyone who wants them about miniature painting. 

The week was over before I knew it, and yet again I found myself on the road back to Wisconsin.  With this years trip done I look back on the great times I had at this years Gen Con and think about how fun the next one will be should I decide to return again.

Check out my pictures here! (Not as many as I would have liked)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Construction Zone Safety and Common Sense

Red v.s. Blue

DIY Banana Rum