A Fellow Human Being's Impact

As you could probably guess that child was me.  In first grade my I had a teacher named Mrs. Eisele and Mr. Gidjere (a college student doing his student teaching at the time).  Mr. G is I have no doubt responsible for my deep interest in the sciences.  I had always been interested in a science of some sort he however gave me some encouragement.  He always tried to get me to look at a lot of different science books to see what interested me the most.  I was particularly obsessed with paleontology at the time (Jurassic Park had been released only a few years before).  I soon became interested in space as well, I had no perspective of the vastness of space(I could tell you that Saturn was the most BA Planet out there) but it was something which would stick with me all the way up to at least this morning.  

Ever since that moment I have known I was going to grow up to be a scientist.   In high school I took as many science classes as I could trying to find the one I wanted to pursue as a career.  I stumbled into my first physics class and found half of my calling.  The other half was discovered as a college sophomore when I finally connected my love of Astronomy, building things (Engineering), and Physics and decided to double major with my current degree set.

I have always been curious how I would be today if I had never met Mr. G as a tiny first grader.  Would I still have the sky universe is the limit mentality had I not met a college kid doing his student teaching in a small Wisconsin town?  The chances of that meeting are pretty small, more than one class of first graders, more than one town/city to get assigned to for student teaching.  All I know is the result of that chance meeting have had a massive impact throughout much of my life.

By now you are most likely asking what you are supposed to take away from this.  I ask that you just think about your impact on every person you interact and/or associate with.  Maybe in your past you have made a similar impact on another human being(good or bad).  If the answer is no, then just realize there are many years for that opportunity to present itself.

Moon over Lake Superior taken by Me in July 2011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Construction Zone Safety and Common Sense

Red v.s. Blue

Track Tuesday