Same-Sex Marriage

The last time I checked it was 2012 and I don't really understand why this debate(along with many others) is still going on.  I see two people who love each other and that really is all I am concerned about.  I grew up being taught that all people are equal.

It is certainly a relief to me that the proposed amendment to the Minnesota state constitution was shot down on election day.  I was also happy to see that the states of Maine, Maryland, and Washington who legalized gay marriage on election day as well.

However only nine states in the US have legalized gay marriage.  While the results of the ballot measures this election was exciting, but there is still a long way to go.  I would like to throw my own thoughts about marriage into the fray.

First I would like to note that many of the arguments against gay marriage revolve around the ideas of gay marriage "harming" the children, "destroying" the sacredness of marriage, and gay sex is immoral.  I would like to state that all of these arguments are obviously statements made out of fear, hatred, ignorance, and religious beliefs.

Secondly I would also like to say that religion has no place in politics and I feel that many of the arguments originate from the extremely religious crazies of this country.  Next I would like to say that no person has the right to force their beliefs or morals onto another human being.

Once those premises have been placed it is pretty easy to see where the ban of same sex marriage is truly ridiculous.  Marriage is a right that all Americans should have regardless if they are straight, gay, or lesbian.  When I think about marriage I see two people who are deeply in love. I see a statement of being with their partner for the rest of your life. I see a vow to care for one another no matter what life throws at them. I see a family.  I see no other criteria for marriage. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red v.s. Blue

Construction Zone Safety and Common Sense

Track Tuesday